Occasionally when talking with folks who aren’t from Anchorage, they mention things about how “amazing” it is that we have moose in our town. Wild moose, walking the streets. Well, yes – it’s cool. It’s also a nuisance.
You do see some cool things. Like the photo to right (previously posted, I believe). You also run into several inconveniences. Things I’ve had to deal with over the last several years:
- A thoroughly devoured tree, which I had to dig up this year (grrr);
- Countless traffic jams due to dead/injured moose running out into the road in the middle of winter;
- Being chased (!!!) by a moose that decided my jogging was a threat to it (it was 200 yards away);
- Having to go cross-country on skate (racing) skiis to avoid moose that were blocking the trail;
- Getting spooked by bears that come into town for easier meals (as the moose population in town has grown, so has the bear population – moose being part of the reason);
As I look over this I realize: I’ve been up here too long. I forget what it’s like to live where there are effectively no animals…
I’m not sure that’s problem.